Updated Nov. 29, 2010.
Prepared by Cheryl Nyberg.
This part of the guide identifies sources dealing with unconfirmed nominees to the Supreme Court.
Congressional Research Service,
Supreme Court Nominations Not Confirmed, 1789-Aug.
2010 (Aug. 20, 2010. 26 pages)
Provides tables and describes factors contributing to unsuccessful nominations.
Law Library of Congress, Supreme Court Nominations--Not Confirmed or Withdrawn
Links to floor debates and hearings for failed nominees Bork, Carswell, Haynsworth, Miers, and Thornberry.
These books are in the Classified Stacks.
The Rejected: Sketches of the 26 Men Nominated for the Supreme Court But Not Confirmed by the Senate. KF8776.J33 1993
Supremely Political: The Role of Ideology and Presidential Management in Unsuccessful Supreme Court Nominations. KF8776.M335 1990
- Battle for Justice: How the Bork Nomination Shook America. KF8742.B74 1989
- The Bork Nomination: Essays and Reports. KF373.B67 B75 1987
- Matters of Principle: An Insider's Account of America's Rejection of Robert Bork's Nomination to the Supreme Court. KF8742.G57 1992
- Ninth Justice: The Fight for Bork, with an Analysis of Media Coverage. KF8742.M33 1990
- Supreme Court Appointments: Judge Bork and the Politicization of Senate Confirmations. KF8742.V54 1998