Basic Legal Skills
Use the Quick Links to go directly to free websites.
Review a legal research guide or a PowerPoint slideshow prepared by the librarians at the Gallagher Law Library or a guide or tutorial from another source to learn about specific legal sources and how to conduct research.
Gallagher guides highlight print and online materials available at the Gallagher Law Library. Guides from other sources may include resources not available to Gallagher Law Library users.
Gallagher Legal Research Guides on Writing
Georgetown Law Library, Legal Research Tutorials cover statutory research, cases and digests, secondary sources, and administrative law.
- Law School includes guides on finding cases, statutes, and regulations; secondary sources; the National Reporter System; using TWEN; and selected substantive law topics.
- Law School Survival Guide includes guides on basic legal research topics, legal writing, and preparing for classes and exams.
- Statutes & Regulations
- Westlaw.com includes quick reference guides.
- Area of Law Outlines cover traditional 1L courses and criminal procedure, evidence, and trusts and estates.
- Reference Literature includes "at-a-glance" and quick reference guides on using LexisNexis and Shepard's, researching in law reviews, and other topics.
- Teaching LexisNexis includes guides on researching cases, statutes, and secondary sources.