Judge Betty Binns Fletcher
Judge Betty Binns Fletcher (UW Law class of 1956) was the first woman to become a partner at a Seattle law firm and served over thirty years on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Note: HeinOnline is a UW Restricted source.
Obituaries & Profiles
Douglas Martin, Betty Bins Fletcher Dies at 89; Liberal Stalwart on the Bench, New York Times (online), Oct. 24, 2012
Maureen O'Hagan, Obituary: Appeals Court Judge Betty Fletcher, Seattle Times (online), Oct. 23, 2012
Gene Johnson, Liberal US Appeals Judge Betty Fletcher Dies at 89, Seattle Times (online), Oct. 23, 2012
Stephanie Francis Ward, 9th Circuit Judge Betty Fletcher Dies at 89, ABA Journal News, Oct. 23, 2012
Scott Graham, Ninth Circuit Judge Betty Fletcher, 1923-2012, The Recorder (online), Oct. 23, 2012
Remembering the Remarkable Judge Betty Fletcher, a Cherished Member of the IAWJ, Int'l Ass'n of Women Judges, Oct. 22, 2012.
Awards & Honors
William L. Dwyer Outstanding Jurist Award, King County Bar Association (2007).
Articles about Judge Fletcher
Nina Shapiro, Betty Fletcher, Betty Fletcher, Seattle's Octogenarian Judge, Gets National Press as Federal Courts' Savior , The Daily Weekly (Seattle Weekly), March 14, 2011
Nina Shapiro, Judge Betty's Revenge, Seattle Weekly, Aug. 19, 2009
Neil A. Lewis, Judge Agrees to Step Aside to Aid Son, N.Y. Times, May 8, 1996
William H. Rodgers Jr., Betty B. Fletcher: NEPA's Angel and Chief Editor of the Hard Look, 40 Envtl. L. Rep. 10,268-81 (2010)
Washington Law Review symposium honoring Judge Fletcher (vol. 85, no. 1, Feb. 2010):
- Judge William A. Fletcher, Tribute to Judge Betty Binns Fletcher, 85 Wash. L. Rev. 1 (2010)
- William C. Canby, Jr., The Concept of Equality in Indian Law, 85 Wash. L. Rev. 13 (2010)
- Thomas D. Rowe, Jr., All Rise! Standing in Judge Betty Fletcher's Court, 85 Wash. L. Rev. 19 (2010)
- Norman W. Spaulding, Perfectionism and Maximum Consciousness in Anti-Discrimination Law, 85 Wash. L. Rev. 33 (2010)
- Kenneth S. Weiner, Accountability for Mitigation through Procedural Review: The NEPA Jurisprudence of Judge Betty B. Fletcher, A Trustee of the Environment and Woman of Substance, 85 Wash. L. Rev. 45 (2010)
- Aaron H. Caplan, , 85 Wash. L. Rev. 71 (2010)
- Ellyde Roko, , 85 Wash. L. Rev. 107 (2010)
- Lisa Bendetti, What's Past is Prologue: Why the Prison Litigation Reform Act Does Not - And Should Not - Classify Punitive Damages as Prospective Relief, 85 Wash. L. Rev. 131 (2010)
- Theresa M. DeMonte, , 85 Wash. L. Rev. 157 (2010)
Articles by Betty Binns Fletcher
Betty Binns Fletcher, A Response to Strass & Scott's Are Senior Judges Unconstitutional?, 92 Cornell L. Rev. 523-31 (2007)
Betty B. Fletcher, The Death Penalty in America: Can Justice Be Done?, 70 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 811-28 (1995) (published version of the twenty-sixth James Madison Lecture on Constitutional Law at New York University School of Law, Nov. 15, 1994). HeinOnline (UW restricted)
Betty B. Fletcher, Foreword: A tribute to Charles A. Reich, 24 U.S.F. L. Rev. 221-22 (1990). HeinOnline
Betty B. Fletcher, Dedication to the Honorable Charles Horowitz, 56 Wash. L. Rev. 163-66 (1981). HeinOnline
Betty B. Fletcher, Recent Federal Cases, Pre-emption of State Anti-sedition Legislation by Federal Legislation, 31 Wash. L. Rev. 300-04 (1956). HeinOnline
Betty B. Fletcher, Washington Case Law—1955, Torts: Negligence—Apportionment of Damages Between Negligent and Innocent Acts of One Defendant, 31 Wash. L. Rev. 177-85 (1956). HeinOnline
Remarks of Judge Fletcher, in In Memoriam: Honorable William O. Douglas. Proceedings of the Bar and Officers of the Supreme Court of the United States. Proceedings Before the Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., November 18, 1980.
Reprinted in 6 Memorials of the Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States 335 (2009). KF8744.M45 at Classified Stacks
Reprinted (with small changes) in Betty B. Fletcher, Justice William O. Douglas, a Westerner, Wash. St. Bar News, Apr. 1981, at 21. HeinOnline