May 12, 2003.
Chaired by Senator Joseph McCarthy, the Senate
Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, held hearings on alleged subversion
and espionage by Communists in federal government agencies and the military.
Closed for 50 years, the transcripts of these hearings are now public and
available on the Government Printing Office's website, GPO Access.
- C-Span, The Army/McCarthy Hearings, http://www.c-span.org/special/mccarthy.asp.
Excerpts, transcripts, and links to related resources.
- U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigations, Joseph
Nearly 5,000 pages of records on extortion investigations and correspondence
between McCarthy and J. Edgar Hoover.
- Biographical Directory of the United States
A brief biography and photograph.
- National Archives and Records Administration,
Telegram from Senator McCarthy to President Harry Truman, http://www.archives.gov/digital_classroom/lessons/mccarthy_telegram/mccarthy_telegram.html.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower Library & Museum,
McCarthyism or "The Red Scare," http://www.eisenhower.utexas.edu/dl/McCarthy/Mccarthydocuments.html.
For more books available at UW Libraries, search
the UW Libraries catalog by subject heading "mccarthy,
joseph, 1908". More than 60 books are available.