November 20, 2000
Wonderland: An Administrative History of Mount
Rainier National Park, http://www.nps.gov/mora/adhi/adhi.htm
The National Park Service website has recently posted
this 723-page 1996 book by Theodore Catton. Illustrated with
photographs and drawings, the book has chapters on:
- the cultural setting and history, involving
both Native Americans and white settlers
- the founding years, 1893-1915
- the years of promise, 1915-30
- the Depression and war years, 1930-45
- contentious years, 1945-65
- and the years of consolidation, 1965-95.
If you would like to see the printed book, it is
available in Special Collections, the Pacific Northwest collection, at
F897.R2C38 1996. The two circulating copies at Odegaard and Suzzallo are
currently checked out.
Other websites featuring our favorite mountain
- Mt. Rainier National Park, http://www.nps.gov/mora/,
with information on planning a visit, recreation and activities, science and
history, maps, and information for kids.
- Mount Rainier National Park, http://www.mount.rainier.national-park.com/,
with information on the visitors' centers, flora and fauna, the volcano, the
glaciers, hiking, and loding.
- Mount Rainier National Park: 100 Years in
features materials from the UW Libraries' Special Collections, Manuscripts,
and University Archives Division.
- Mount Rainier National Park, http://www.halcyon.com/rdpayne/mrnp.html,
the "unofficial guide, with reports on flora and fauna.