Updated Jan. 9, 2012.
NOTE: We are migrating the contents of this page to a new series of pages. Some of the content has moved while other content will be found on this page until the project is complete.
The following websites provide legal information and materials
(including laws, bills, court opinions, and related documents) and/or links to legal
material. Most of these sites are freely available to all users with Internet
access. Some sites are UW Restricted, that is, available to University of Washington faculty, students, and staff and visitors to UW
Libraries. This list does not include material that is available on LexisNexis
For information on how to conduct various types of legal research, consult
a reference librarian or read a legal
research guide. You might also find it useful to read How to Research
a Legal Problem: A Guide for Non-Lawyers.
|Washington State Legal Resources
|Laws, Legislation & the Legislature [moved to new platform]
|Court Opinions, Court Rules, Other Judicial Material
& the Courts
|Rules, Regulations, Administrative Decisions, the Governor
|Municipal Codes, Ordinances & Administrative Decisions [moved to new platform]
|Legal Community (Organizations & Libraries)
|Public Record Databases
|United States Legal Resources
|Laws, Legislation & the Congress
|Court Opinions [moved to new platform]; Court Rules, Other Judicial Material
& the Courts
|Rules & Regulations [moved to new platform]; Administrative Decisions, the President
|Public Record Databases [moved to new platform]
|Legal Resources for Other Jurisdictions
||Foreign Countries & International Organizations
|Internet Search Engines
Washington State Legal Resources
- Washington Legislature's Advanced Search: bills, bill reports, ethics opinions,
House and Senate journals, the Revised Code of Washington, the Washington
Administrative Code, and the Washington State Register;
searchable, coverage varies.
- LegalWA.org: Supreme Court and Court of
Appeals opinions, the Revised Code of Washington, the
Washington Administrative Code, and numerous Washington city and county codes
and ordinances; sponsored by the Municipal Research & Services
Center, the Washington State Bar Association, and the Washington State
Office of the Code Reviser.
- LexisNexis Academic: constitution, laws, court opinions and orders, and
attorney general opinions; searchable. UW Restricted
- Access Washington: Washington State
Washington Rules, Regulations, Administrative Decisions, the Governor
Washington Administrative Code (WAC)
Rules and regulations in force arranged by subject.
- WAC on LegalWA: searchable,
- WAC from the Legislature's
Advanced Search > WAC: searchable, current
- WAC on the Legislature's page:
arranged by title
WAC Archive from the Office of the Code Reviser: selected years
2009, 2007, and 2005
See also the Gallagher guide on Washington
Administrative Law Research.
Washington State Register (WSR)
Updates the Washington Administrative Code.
- WSR from the Legislature's
Advanced Search > State Register: searchable, from 1997
- WSR from the Office of the Code Reviser: includes annual indexes (from 1997) and WAC-WSR tables (from 1997)
Attorney General Opinions
Governors' Executive Orders
Access Washington: Washington State's main homepage, with links to agencies, boards, commissions, and
- executive orders from the Office of the Governor: arranged by
date, from 1913.
- executive orders, directives, and proclamations from Governor
Christine Gregoire, from 2005.
Find-It! Washington: a guide to Washington State Government information and
Administrative Agency Decisions & Guidance Documents
Investigation Reports: searchable, from Jan. 1997. (Tip: to obtain documents before 2008, deselect "Group reports by entity."
Banks Division of the Department of Financial Institutions
- Opinions (informal and nonbinding interpretive letters): arranged by date, from 1996.
- Administrative orders (enforcement actions): arranged by date, from March 2009.
Building Code Council interpretations:
arranged by type of building code (barrier-free, building, energy,
fire, mechanical, plumbing, residential, and ventilation and indoor air quality), dates of coverage vary.
Consumer Services Division of the Department of Financial Institutions
Credit Unions Division of the Department of Financial Institutions
Ecology Department enforcement actions
Employment Security Department precedential decisions of the Commissioner: searchable, from April 1954
Energy Facility Site Evaluation Council certification documents
Environmental and Land Use
Hearings Board decisions: searchable, 2005 only.
Environmental Hearings Office
- Decisions from the
Environmental and Land Use Hearings Board, the Forest Practices Appeals Board,
Appeals Board, the Pollution Control Hearings Board, and the Shorelines
Hearings Board: searchable, arranged by date then by board, from 1970
- Pending cases:
- Summaries of Board decisions: arranged by date, from 2000
- Note: Effective July 1, 2011, the Environmental Hearings Office will merge a consolidated Growth Management Hearings Board to become the Environmental and Land Use Hearings Office (ELUHO).
Executive Ethics Board
Financial Institutions Department
Fish and Wildlife Department Priority
Habitats and Species: current list.
Appeals Board, see Environmental Hearings Office
Note: After June 2010, appeals are filed with the Pollution Control Hearings Board.
Growth Management Hearings Boards
Note: In 2010, the three regional boards were consolidated into one.
Health Department summaries of disciplinary actions: arranged by date,
from 2006. See News Releases.
Higher Education Personnel appeals case summaries from the Personnel
Department: arranged by subject, from March 1993 to July 2000.
Hydraulic Appeals Board, see Environmental Hearings Office
Note: After June 2010, appeals are filed with the Pollution Control Hearings Board.
Industrial Insurance Appeals Boardsignificant
decisions: searchable by name or keyword, with a subject index, from 1955
Labor and Industries Department, Industrial Safety & Health Act policies, regional directives, and
operations and interpretive memoranda: arranged by name, number, and Washington Administrative Code citation..
Licensing Department, disciplinary
actions: summaries of recent disciplinary actions against professionals and
business, arranged by business or profession, current.
Marine Employees' Commission
Personnel Department, Director's review decisions: searchable.
Personnel Appeals Board decisions: arranged by date, 2000-06.
Personnel Resources Board, decisions: arranged by date, from 2006.
Pollution Control Board
Practice of Law Board, Washington State Bar Association
Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors Board of Registration
Public Disclosure Commission
Public Employment Relations Commission
- Taxpedia: a searchable database of laws, regulations, excise tax
advisories, property tax bulletins, audit guidelines, selected Board of Tax Appeals decisions, and excise tax decisions.
- tax decisions from Washington Tax Decisions: complete volumes, in
zipped files for downloading.
- excise tax advisories, replaced excise tax bulletins effective July 1998, recent.
- excise tax advisories: archive, arranged by number.
- interim audit
guidelines: arranged by number.
- special notices: arranged by subject, from July 1988.
- property tax advisories: arranged by number, from 2000.
Securities Division of
the Department of Financial Institutions
Shorelines Hearings Board
Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
Tax Appeals Board decisions: searchable, from 1986.
Utilities and Transportation Commission dockets, orders, and filings
Washington Legal Community (Organizations & Libraries)
Legal Services & Bar Associations
- Washington LawHelp: a service sponsored by Columbia Legal
Services, the Legal Services Corporation, Northwest Justice Project, the
Washington Access to Justice Network, and the Washington courts.
- Washington State Bar Association (WSBA): services for lawyers and the public,
licensing and admissions, continuing legal education, ethics opinions, etc.
- WSBA Guide to Law-Related Association, Service, Organizations & Programs.
- King County Bar Association (KCBA): serving the public and serving
lawyers, continuing legal education, young lawyers, foundation, etc.
- Northwest Justice Project: a clearinghouse for legal self-help materials and
legal assistance for low-income persons.
- Northwest Women's Law Center: issues, services, advocacy, and guides on
children and youth, civil rights, discrimination, economic justice, family law, health care, lesbian and gay rights, public benefits,
reproductive freedom, and violence against women.
- Municipal Research & Services Center: a nonprofit organization providing
services and information to Washington city and county governments and officials.
State Trial Lawyers Association, an organization of more than 3500
attorneys and legal professions.
Law Schools, Law Libraries & Archives
- University of Washington School of Law,
Law Library, and the Law Library
- Gonzaga University School of Law, its Law
Library, and the Law Library catalog.
- Seattle University School of Law,
Library, and the Law Library
- Summit, a combined catalog of
more than 30 college and university libraries in Washington and Oregon,
including four law libraries
- the J.W. Long Law Library at Willamette University
- the Marian Gould Gallagher Law Library at the University of Washington
- the Paul L. Boley Law Library at Lewis & Clark Law School
- the Seattle University Law Library
- King County Law Library and its library
catalog; open to the public. KCLL offers reference
service by email and a real-time online chat service.
- Washington State Law Library: legal research guides and an email-based
- County law libraries directory from the Washington Association of County Law
Libraries: arranged by county.
- Law Libraries in Washington State and
- Law Librarians of Puget Sound (LLOPS): a chapter of the American
Association of Law Libraries (AALL).
- Washington State Archives
- Washington State Library
- Documents in the
News, links to recent Washington State news stories and the supporting or
cited documents, including government reports, legislation, court decisions,
regulations, and statistics.
- U.S. National Archives & Records Administration, Pacific
- Access Washington: Washington State's homepage, with links to agencies, boards, commissions, and
- Washington State is a searchable, annotated directory
from the Librarians' Internet Index.
- Access Washington Online Telephone Directory: searchable, telephone and fax numbers for state
- Washington Court Directory includes state courts at all levels, tribal courts,
and administrative offices.
- Washington House of Representatives member directory.
- Washington Senate
roster of members.
- Who Represents You in the Washington Legislature?: searchable by Zip+4 and address.
- City and County Officials Directories on the Web from the Municipal
Research & Services Center: arranged by city and county.
- Free or Low-Cost Advocacy, Information, and Referral for King County Residents:
a directory of service providers.
- People-Finding: a guide to print and online directories.
United States Legal Resources
- FDsys, a service of the Government Printing Office (formerly GPO Access). A collection of major sources, full text, including the budget; Code of Federal Regulations and Federal Register; Commerce Business Daily; congressional bills, calendars, directories, hearings, prints, reports, the Congressional Record, and other
materials; Economic Indicators and President's Economic Report; General Accounting Office reports; selected administrative agency decisions; Supreme Court
opinions; and U.S. Code and session laws.
- Thomas, from the
Library of Congress. A collection of legislative resources, including bills,
bill status, committee reports and websites, the Congressional Record,
Presidential nominations, treaties, and other material.
- Federal Law, from Cornell University's Legal Information Institute. Contains the U.S. Code, the Code of Federal Regulations, and decisions from the Supreme Court and Courts of Appeals.
- USA.gov, the federal government's portal
to information and services. Also includes state, local, and tribal
- lexisONE, free federal and state
caselaw, last 5 years (registration required)
- LexisNexis Academic and ProQuest Congressional: commercial services
with federal and state cases and laws, Congressional materials, and selected
secondary sources. UW Restricted
- Federal Government Resources on the Web from University of Michigan Documents
U.S. Laws, Legislation & the Congress
Bills & Resolutions: Legislation being considered by Congress
Public Laws: Laws passed by Congress & signed by the President, in date order
- Thomas: arranged by Congress then public law number,
from 1973 (93d Congress).
- Authenticated public
and private laws from FDsys: searchable, from 104th Congress, 1995. (Digitally
signed and certified)
- classification tables from the Office of the Law Revision Counsel: provides
U.S. Code citations for public laws and U.S. Code sections affected by recently
U.S. Statutes at Large: slip laws organized by Congress and session
U.S. Code: Laws in force arranged by subject
See also the Gallagher guide on Federal
Congressional Record: Transcript of proceedings in the U.S. Congress
- GPO/FDsys: daily editions, searchable, from 1994, vol. 140.
- GPO/FDsys: bound vols, searchable, from Dec. 1998.
- GPO/FDsys: index, searchable, from 1983.
- CR from Thomas: searchable, from 1990 (101st Congress).
- HeinOnline: bound vols, searchable, from 43 Congress, 1873, vol. 1.
- HeinOnline: daily editions, searchable, from 1994, vol. 140.
- CR from ProQuest Congressional: searchable, from 1985. UW Restricted
- Annals of Congress, 1st Congress through 18th Congress, 1st
session, from the Library of Congress: covers 1789-1824.
- Register of Debates, 18th Congress, 2d session through 25th Congress,
1st session, from the Library of Congress: covers 1824-37.
- Congressional Globe, 23d-42d Congresses, from the Library of Congress:
House, Senate & Executive reports (collectively known as the Serial Set)
- reports from GPO Access: searchable, from
1995 (104th Congress).
- reports from Thomas: searchable, from 1995 (104th Congress).
- reports from ProQuest Congressional: searchable, from 1990. UW Restricted
- Readex U.S. Congressional
Serial Set: searchable, 15th-96th Congresses, 1817-1980, Vols. 1-9912. UW Restricted
- historical Serial Set volumes, from the Library of Congress: selected volumes from
the 23d Congress, 1833-35; 56th Congress, 1899-1901; and the 58th Congress, 1903-05 (Journals of the Confederate Congress).
House, Senate & Treaty documents
Committee Hearings & Testimony
Other Historical Congressional Material
U.S. Court Opinions, Court Rules, Other Judicial Material
& the Courts
See also Briefs and Oral Arguments.
||Access & Restrictions
| Hein Online
||PDF images of official U.S. Reports & slip opinions
||provides parallel citations
||search by U.S. reports citation, party name, or keyword
||free, by registration is required
||search by keyword
||search by keyword
||search by U.S. Reports citation, party name, or keyword
| LexisNexis Academic
||search by citation, party name, or keyword
Information Institute (Cornell)
||more than 600 historically significant cases; search by topic, party,
or author of the opinion
||Federal Legal Information Through Electronics (FLITE) database from
the Air Force
||text & PDF (bound volumes)
||useful for recent slip opinions &r bound volumes (vol. 502-date)
Information Institute (Cornell)
||HTML & PDF
||include links to cited sources (U.S. Code, CFR, other cases) that are
also available at LII
Other Federal Courts
- LexisNexis Academic: all dates, searchable. UW Restricted
- Google Scholar: appellate, bankruptcy, district, and tax courts, 1923-date, searchable.
- Justia, US Court of
Appeals Cases & Opinions: 1950-date, searchable.
- OpenJurist: all dates, free, searchable.
- Public Library of
Law: appellate cases, 1950-date, searchable
- lexisONE: searchable, last five years,
- Cornell Legal
Information Institute: searchable, coverage varies.
- Findlaw: searchable,
- See also U.S. Directories--Courts, below.
|Cornell Legal Info Institute
: Legal > Federal & State Cases.
Use these websites to search for other legal materials, including government publications, legal organizations, trade and industry groups,
attorneys, law schools, law libraries, library catalogs, legal publishers, foreign and
international material, and other sources related to the study and practice of law.
The following site links to the best general search engines, subject directories, and meta search engines.