This page identifies selected print and commercial and free online sources
useful to patent law researchers. For information on searching for patents
themselves, see the guides provided by the
UW Engineering Library,
which is a patent depository.
Note: Links to LexisNexis and Westlaw databases require logon IDs and
art. I, � 8, cl. 8; Section 8
"The Congress shall have power . . . To promote the progress of science and
useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the
exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries . . . .
Title 35 deals with Patents.
37 C.F.R. 1-150, 401-404, 501. Title 37 deals with Patents,
Trademarks, and Copyrights.
Code of Federal Regulations
- KF70 at Reference Area (this year) & Compact Stacks
- GPO Access
- Westlaw: FIP-CFR
United States Patent Quarterly (USPQ) contains the full text of
cases from federal courts and several administrative agencies.
intellectual property cases from federal courts.
U.S. Court of Appeals and Court of Customs and Patent Appeals.
U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
The U.S. Court of Federal Claims website
has rules, forms, and opinions from July 3, 1997 to date.
- U.S. Claims Court Reporter
(1982-92). KF125.C5C53 at Compact Stacks
- Federal Claims Reporter (1993-date).
KF125.C5C53 at Compact Stacks
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, combined administrative decisions
Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences
Commissioner for Patents
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Finding Periodical Articles
- Current Patent
Literature, a notification service about new law review articles, is available as an RSS feed from the University of Texas Tarlton
- Legal Resource Index /
LegalTrac. Indexes law reviews and other legal
periodicals, from 1980 to date. Search by keyword or by subject. Relevant
subject headings include Inventions, Inventors, Patent Infringement, Patent Law,
and Patents (International Law).
- Current Index to Legal Periodicals. Indexes law reviews; faster to
index law reviews that LegalTrac. Relevant subject heading is Intellectual
- SmartCILP, a weekly e-mail notification
service indexing new law review articles. UW users should contact the Reference
Office for a password.
- Legal Scholarship Network
For perspectives from other disciplines,
try business and social science indexes through
Consult indexes and databases listed on the
UW Resources by Subject
page under Aeronautics & Astronautics,
Bioengineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Earth & Space Sciences,
Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering,
Medicine, Physics, and related subjects.
Selected Specialized Patent Journals & Newsletters
These journals and newsletters include the word "patent" in their titles.
Many other journals and newsletters cover patent issues generally. Use an index
(identified above) or search journal and law review databases on LexisNexis or
AIPLA Quarterly Journal, from the American Intellectual Property Law
- Andrew's Patent Litigation Reporter. Westlaw: ANPATLR
- BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright
- BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Daily
- Journal of the Patent and Trademark
Office Society, 1985-date.
Modern Patent Law Precedent: Dictionary of Key Terms and Concepts,
- KF3109.A35 2003 at Classified Stacks
- Westlaw: MPATLAWP.
- Manual of Patent Examining Procedure, 8th ed.
- An Introduction to Patent Law, 2d ed. KF3114.M84 2006 at
- Patent Law and Practice, 4th ed. KF3120.S38 2003 at Classified
- Patent Law Basics. Westlaw: PATBASICS
- Patent Law Essentials: A Concise Guide. KF3114.3.D87 2004 at
- Patent Law Handbook. Westlaw: PATLAWHAND
- Principles of Patent Law. KF3114.S34 2004 at Reference Area
- What Is a Patent?: A Guide for the IP Lawyer. KF3114.3.W453 2001 at
- Chisum, Patents: A Treatise on the Law of Patentability, Validity, and Infringement.
- Moy's Walker on Patents, 4th ed. 3 vols.
- KF3114.M69 2003 at Classified Stacks
- Westlaw: MOY-PAT
- Patent Law Fundamentals. 5 vols.
- KF3114.R66 1980 at Classified Stacks
- Westlaw: PATLAWF
- Patent Law Perspectives, 2d ed. 8 vols.
Formbooks and Forms
- Patent License Agreements: Law and Forms. KF3145.A65N6 at Classified
- Patent Licensing: Strategy, Negotiation, Forms.
- Patent It Yourself, 12th ed. KF3114.6.P74 2006 at Reference Area
- The Inventor's Notebook: A "Patent It Yourself" Companion.
KF3114.6.G75 2005 at Reference Area
- How To Write a Patent Application (1992, updated 2004)
- Patent Law: A Practitioner's Guide, 3d ed.
- Patent Litigation.
- Patent Prosecution: Practice and Procedure Before the U.S. Patent Office,
3d ed. KF3120.D66 2003 at Reference Area
- Patents and the Federal Circuit.
- LexisNexis > Area of Law by Topic > Patent Law. See also links to
specific sources and group files throughout this guide. New Attorney Reference
- Westlaw: See Intellectual Property under Topical Materials by Area of Practice
Note: Jon R. Cavicchi, Intellectual Property Research Tools and
Strategies: Lexis vs. Westlaw for Research--Better, Different, or Same and the
QWERTY Effect?, 47 IDEA 363 (2007).
Email Discussion Lists
The ABA maintains several list-servs
dedicated to patent law.
E-mail & Online Newsletters
Foreign & International Sources
- World Intellectual Property Organization, Patent Law Treaty. K1503.32.A2
2000 at Classified Stacks
- Patent Cooperation Treaty (1970) and Regulations: With
Administrative Instructions. K1503.3.P37A2 1981 at Classified Stacks
European Patent Office Reports
United Kingdom, Reports of Patent Cases
- Concordance: United States Patent Classification to International
Patent Classification, 2000 ed. T223.F4A56 2000 at Classified Stacks
European Patent Law: Law and Procedure Under the EPC and PCT. KJC2725.P7313
1999 at Classified Stacks
- Foreign Patent Law Applications. T215.L53 at Classified Stacks
- International Patent Litigation. K1505.4.I57 1983 at Reference
- The TRIPS Regime of Patent Rights. K1505.C37 2002 at Classified
- The WIPO Magazine, monthly. Shelved by title at Compact Stacks
Baxter World Patent Law