Updated March 17, 2003.
Compiled by Mary Whisner, Assistant Librarian for Reference Services.
Supporting presentations by Associate Dean
Patricia C. Kuszler and Research Associate Professor Beth Rivin.
For a more
current guide, see
Researching Health and Human Rights (prepared in 2009 for a class focusing
Human Rights Research Guide
Gallagher Law Library, Human Rights Research.
This is a guide to human rights research generally. It includes links to web
resources as well as discussing print resources available at the University of
Washington and other electronic resources.
Indonesian Legal Materials on the Web
The World Legal Information Institute, www.worldlii.org,
has an excellent catalog of Indonesian sites at http://www.worldlii.org/catalog/223.html.
- A Quick Guide to WorldLII
Overviews of the Legal System
The Asian Development Bank is funding a project to make law
available on the Internet.
about DIAL (Development of the Internet for Asian Law)
provides in-country training in Internet legal research to government
lawyers in seven selected Developing Member Countries (DMCs) under the ADB
Regional Technical Assistance Project: the People's Republic of China,
Mongolia, Pakistan, Indonesia, the Philippines, Viet Nam and
(emphasis added). They have already had sessions in Indonesia (in 2001 and
list of Indonesian legislation is at http://www.worldlii.org/catalog/224.html.
Material related to health and human rights might include
- World Health Organization Summary of Health Legislation, http://www3.who.int/idhl-rils/frame.cfm?language=english
by Country at the bottom of the screen
- Choose Indonesia from the menu
list then includes:
IA. General health codes, laws, and constitutional and other fundamental provision (1)
IC. Health financing (1)
ID. Health research (1)
II. Health personnel (1)
VII. Human reproduction and population policies (1)
XA. Smoking (1)
XC. Drug abuse (narcotics, psychotropic drugs, and other
dependence-producing drugs) (3)
XVII. Occupational health and safety (1)
XVIII. Environmental protection (5)
Kantor Mahkamah Agung Republik Indonesia, http://www.mari.go.id/.
Links to websites for many government agencies are at http://www.worldlii.org/catalog/2436.html.
Health and human rights researchers might be particularly interested in:
- Statistics Indonesia (in English), http://www.bps.go.id/index.shtml.
- Population category includes infant mortality rate, fertility rate.
- Social welfare category includes tables for health and nutrition.
- More statistics are available in publications.
- Ministry for the Empowerment of Women (Kementerian Pemberdayaan Perempuan RI) (in
- National Commission on Human Rights (in Indonesian and English): http://www.komnas.go.id
-- site was not available when I tried to visit.
- Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (Departemen Kesehatan), http://www.depkes.go.id/.
Most of this site is in Indonesian.
Links to 14 Indonesian faculties of law are at http://www.worldlii.org/catalog/3005.html.
The Asian Law Centre, University of Melbourne, www.law.unimelb.edu.au/alc/,
has a section called �Indonesia: Recent Work� with articles about legal
developments. See http://www.law.unimelb.edu.au/alc/indonesia/index.html.
Human Rights Reports on Indonesia
- Human Rights Watch reports on Indonesia: http://hrw.org/reports/world/indonesia-pubs.php.
- Human rights projects by The Asia Foundation in Indonesia: http://www.asiafoundation.com/programs/prog-asia-indohr1.html.
- U.S. Dep't of State, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, Indonesia sections:
- 2001 report (released March 4, 2002), http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2001/eap/8314.htm.
- 2000 report (Feb. 23, 2001), http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2000/eap/707.htm.
- 1999 report (Feb. 23, 2000), http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/1999/288.htm.
- 1998 report (Feb. 26, 1999), http://www.state.gov/www/global/human_rights/1998_hrp_report/indonesi.html.
- 1997 report (Jan. 30, 1998), http://www.state.gov/www/global/human_rights/1997_hrp_report/indonesi.html.
- 1996 report (Jan. 30, 1997), http://www.state.gov/www/global/human_rights/1996_hrp_report/indonesi.html.
- 1995 report (March 1996), gopher://dosfan.lib.uic.edu/00ftp:DOSFan:Gopher:03%20Publications%20-%20Major%20Reports:Human%20Rights%20Country%20Practices:1995%20HRC%20Report:04%20East%20Asia%20and%20Pacific:Indonesia.
- 1994 report (February 1995), gopher://dosfan.lib.uic.edu/00ftp:DOSFan:Gopher:03%20Publications%20-%20Major%20Reports:Human%20Rights%20Country%20Practices:1994%20HRC%20Report:05%20East%20Asia%20and%20Pacific:Indonesia.
- 1993 report (Jan. 31, 1994), gopher://dosfan.lib.uic.edu/00ftp:DOSFan:Gopher:03%20Publications%20-%20Major%20Reports:Human%20Rights%20Country%20Practices:1993%20HRC%20Report:05%20East%20Asia%20and%20Pacific:Indonesia.
- Amnesty International reports on Indonesia, http://web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/countries/indonesia?OpenView&Start=1&Count=30&Expandall.
- U.S. Committee for Refugees, http://www.refugees.org/world/countryrpt/easia_pacific/indonesia.htm.
- International Committee of the Red Cross, http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/indonesia?OpenDocument.
International Health Sites with Information about Indonesia
- World Health Organization, Indonesia page, http://www.who.int/country/idn/en/.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDs, http://www.unaids.org.
- INDONESIA,Statement by H.E. Dr. Achmad Sujudi, Minister for Health, at the
Twenty-Seventh Special Session of the United Nations General Assembly on
Children, New York, 10 May 2002, http://www.un.org/ga/children/indonesiaE.htm.
- �Social Development� page, http://www.aseansec.org/8558.htm
-- scroll down to headings for �Health Development� and �Disease Surveillance� (includes declaration on HIV/AIDS).
- �Declaration of the 5th ASEAN Health Ministers Meeting on Healthy ASEAN 2020,� 28-29 April 2000, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, http://www.aseansec.org/660.htm.
- �Declaration Of the 6th Asean Health Ministers� Meeting On Healthy ASEAN Lifestyles (Vientiane Declaration),� 15
March 2002, Vientiane, Lao People�s Democratic Republic http://www.aseansec.org/10230.htm.
Health and Human Rights Sites