Immigration Law Resources
Posted July 21, 2008. Updated by Mary Whisner Oct. 19, 2009.
Prepared by Leslie Street and Carissa Vogel, law librarianship interns (2008).
This research guide provides an overview of immigration law materials: general and secondary sources on
immigration law as well as major laws, regulations, cases, and administrative
decisions and material. For tips on researching asylum cases see
For a good overview of the structure of immigration law regulation and enforcement, see Chapter 8 “Immigration Law” by Lourdes Fuentes and Ann Hemmens in
Specialized Legal Research (Penny Hazelton, ed.). KF240.S63 1987 at Reference Area
- Immigration Law and Procedure. KF4819.G6 at Reference Area & LexisNexis.
Multi-volume treatise by Gordon, Mailman, and Yale-Loehr.
- Bender's Immigration and Nationality Act Service. KF4806.54.M38 1999
at Reference Area
- Immigration Law and Defense, Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild. KF8925.E4 N37 1988
at Reference Area
- Immigration Law and the Family. KF4819.I36 1995 at Reference Area
- Immigration Fundamentals: A Guide to Law and Practice. KF4819.F725 1996
at Reference Area & LexisNexis
- Immigration Law and Crimes (under the auspices of the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild).
KF4819.I472 1984 at Reference Area & Westlaw: IMLC
- Immigration Law Service, 2d. Westlaw: IMMLS2D
- Kurzban’s Immigration Law Sourebook: A Comprehensive Outline and Reference Tool. KF4819.3.K87 2008
at Reference Area
- Steel on Immigration Law, 2d ed. Westlaw: STEEL
|Area of Law - By Topic >
Search Analysis, Law Reviews & Journals
|Topical Materials by Area of
Practice > Immigration
For other books in the Gallagher Law Library, search the Library catalog by
Two specialized law reviews focus on immigration issues:
Georgetown Immigration Law Journal
Immigration Nationality Law Review. HeinOnline: Law Journal Library
Immigration Law Review Articles, Combined
To find other law review articles, search
United States Code Title 6, Chapter 1 – Homeland Security Organization. GPOAccess
& Cornell Legal Information Institute
Sub IV –
Directorate of Border and Transportation Security (Cornell)
- Part B: United State Customs Service
- Part D: Immigration Enforcement Functions
- Part E: Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Part F: General Immigration Provisions
United States Code Title 8, Aliens and Nationality.
Immigration and Nationality Act, 8 U.S.C.
�� 1101-1537. GPO Access & CIS website (conveniently gives both Act and U.S.C. citations)
Code of Federal Regulations. GPOAccess
Department of Justice, Board of Immigration Appeals Decisions
Federal Immigration Administrative Decisions, combined files
Board of Alien Labor Certification Appeals
Foreign Affairs Manual: Used by consular officers worldwide in making visa
: Provides the text of decisions of the Board of Immigration Appeals and a digest, 1923-date.
Board of Immigration Appeals Practice Manual
- Print: KF4800.A15 I57, current issues at Reference Area; previous issues at
- Westlaw: INTERREL
Information on the procedures, proceedings, and decisions of the BIA.
Policy and Procedure Memorandum from U.S. Citizen
and Immigration Service
: Provides guidance for dealing with applications
CIS (formerly INS) Operating Instructions
U.S. State Department, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices: Includes reports about human rights issues by country
and useful in determining country conditions for asylum claims.
Useful for determining wait times for visa backlogs.
- Search for "Visa Bulletin" and the year for specific Bulletins
|Area of Law - By Topic >
Find Administrative Materials
|Topical Materials by Area of Practice >
Federal Administrative Materials
Interpreter Releases. Weekly. KF4800.A15 I57 at Reference Area. FIM-BIAPRAC
Bender's Immigration Bulletin. Published two times per month.
Immigration Law Today. American Immigration Lawyers Association;
monthly. KF4802 .A54 at Reference Area & Westlaw: IM-CURRENT
Blogs & Web-Based Services
Bender's Immigration Bulletin Daily
Edition (free on web)
Immigration Daily. Free email
newsletter with searchable archive. Parent company is a publisher and CLE
provider. Also sponsors Greg
More immigration law blogs:
For information about researching legislative materials, see the
Legislative History guide.
General News Sources
News from assorted journals, magazines, newsletters, newspapers, transcripts, and wire services
U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Parent agency that oversees the three major immigration agencies.
Office for Immigration Review
Provides links to Immigration Courts nationwide,
Seattle Immigration Court.
Includes links to laws, policies, and regulations; a
directory of U.S. embassies and consulates; and Visa Services.
U.S. Department of
Maintains O*Net Online, that includes occupational descriptions needed for certain types of immigration petitions
and links to statutes and regulations on labor certification and immigration.
National Immigration Law Center
- Provides analysis of proposed legislation and advocacy work to
promote the rights of low-income immigrants
- Provides training and conferences throughout the U.S.
- Maintains a newsletter about immigrants' rights
American Immigration Lawyers Association
- A source for important news, information, and developments
- Provides access to some cases and administrative agency materials
- Provides practice-based materials for immigration law practitioners, including information on practice management and professionalism
- Maintains AILA InfoNet, a members-only database, with USCIS bulletins, letters, and other information
- Also provides information on AILALink,
comprehensive immigration law database
Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC) reports on immigration:
Covers aggravated felonies and deportation, border protection, criminal
convictions and prosecutions, criminal enforcement, DHS enforcement
priorities, the immigration courts, immigration inspections, and related
U.S. Department of Homeland Security,
includes individual statistical reports and the Yearbook of Immigration
Statistics (1996-date). JV6461.S8 at Classified Stacks
Immigration State Laws Pending
National Conference of State