Updated July 19, 2007; PRJ.
See also the Gallagher guides on European Union Research
and United Nations Research.
Research strategies include: gathering background information, checking MARIAN
the UW Libraries catalog
, talking to Gallagher Law Library and UW
Government Publications reference staff, and searching official and
unofficial web resources. The UW Libraries is a depository for the United
Nations and the European Union.
- Yearbook of International Organizations: Guide to Global Civil Society Networks,
JZ4836.Y43, current at Reference Office: volumes 1A and 1B (Organization
Descriptions) and 3 (Classified Subject Guide and Index) only. This
comprehensive directory provides contact information and extensive
profiles that include history, activities, and organizational structure.
Selected information from the Yearbook is available on the Internet.
- International Governmental Organizations
(from Northwestern University Library)
- International Agencies and Information on the Web
(from the University of Michigan Documents Center)
International Information: Documents, Publications, and Electronic Information of
International Governmental Organizations
, 2d ed. (Peter I. Hajnal, ed.). JZ4850.I58 at Reference Office
work includes chapters on the United Nations, European Union, OECD, World
Trade Organization, and International Monetary Fund.
Robert V. Williams, The Information Systems of International
Inter-Governmental Organizations: A Reference Guide. JZ4850.W55 1998
at Reference Office
Focuses on print and electronic publications and
Council of Europe
The Law Library collects Council of Europe treaties, reports, and many
human rights publications.
- Main website
- European Treaty Series includes full text of treaties plus charts of signatures and ratifications.
- European Conventions and Agreements (European Treaty Series), 1949/61-date. KZ625.8.E86 at Reference
- European Court of Human Rights website includes recent judgments and a searchable database.
- Recueil des Arr�ts et D�cisions=Reports of Judgments and Decisions. European Court of Human Rights, 1996-date. KJC5138.A5 at Classified Stacks. Continues Publications de la Cour Europ�enne des
Droits de L'Homme. S�rie A. KJC5138.A5 at Classified Stacks
- Anne Burnett, Guide to Researching the Council of Europe.
International Maritime Organization (IMO)
The Law Library collects selected IMO sales publications, including a few codes. The UW Libraries has a larger collection of IMO codes.
- Main website includes news, status of conventions, and the full text of circulars.
Site generally does not have the full-text of documents.
- Resolutions and Other Decisions. K4150.A2I57 at Reference Area
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
The Law Library collects selected OECD sales publications.
- Main website
- SourceOECD is a UW-restricted service containing full-text monographs, reports, and
periodicals. Available through the UW Libraries
Organization of American States (OAS)
The Law Library collects some OAS human rights documents, but publication
is slow and many titles are moving to the Internet. The OAS website is
often more current than our print collection.
- Main website links to the Inter-American Court of Human Rights and Inter-American
Commission of Human Rights under �OAS Structure.�
- Inter-American Yearbook on Human Rights, 1985-1998. KDZ574.A58.I57 at Classified Stacks
Includes reports and decisions of Inter-American
Court of Human Rights and Inter-American Commission of Human Rights.
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
The Law Library collects some WIPO publications. Search
World Intellectual Property Organization
- Main website includes the Collection of Laws for Electronic Access (CLEA) database, which contains the
full text of WIPO treaties and the intellectual property legislation of a
number of countries.
World Trade Organization (WTO)
The Law Library collects some WTO publications. The UW Libraries was a GATT/WTO
documents depository until 2000.