Law Librarianship Program - University of Washington
- The UW Law Librarianship Program Founder was Professor Arthur Beardsley, Law Librarian and Professor of Law, University of Washington School of Law Library.
- Our largest class was 2012 with 14 students. The next largest were 2009 (11), 1993 (12), and 1992 (11). (7/2015)
- The Librarianship Program's first class graduated in 1940. Since then, the Librarianship Program has had 298 graduates. (7/2015)
- 10 graduates have been inducted into the AALL Hall of Fame: Viola Bird, Earl Borgeson, Al Coco, Marian Gould Gallagher, Dan Henke, Patrick Kehoe, Jacquelyn Jurkins, Barbara Bintiliff, Mike Chiorazzi, and Albert Brecht
- 35 graduates of the program are directors of academic, court, or county libraries. [7/2015]
- 61 program graduates have been or are academic, firm, court and county law library directors.
- We are the only specialized program in the United States to require the law degree for admission.
- The Law Librarianship program has been ranked number one in the nation by the U.S. News and World Reports for 8 years (7/2015)
- 6 graduates have been honored by the American Association of Law Libraries, receiving its Distinguished Service Award (named after Marian G. Gallagher) : Marian Gallagher, Earl Borgeson, Viola Bird, Dan Henke, Patrick Kehoe, and Penny Hazelton. (7/2015)
- 30 of our graduates have retired, and 23 of these graduates were directors of law libraries at retirement.
- Out of 298 grads since 1940, 32 graduates of the program have JD's from University of Washington, 12 are graduates of the University of Oregon, 10 are graduates of Lewis & Clark Law School and 6 are graduates from Seattle University Law School.
- The top 4 employers of alumni are : Seattle University (5), Univertsity of Washington (5), Chapman University (4), Georgetown University (4). (7/2015)
- One of our alums was the librarian at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.
- Eight of our graduates have been President of the American Association of Law Libraries, including Marian Gould Gallagher (after whom the UW law library is named), and Penny A. Hazelton (former director of the Gallagher Law Library).
- Outside of the Northwest (Oregon, Washington, and Idaho), the largest feeder law school for the program is Franklin Pierce.
- There have been five directors of the law librarianship program: Arthur Beardsley 1939-43; Marian Gould Gallagher 1944-81; Robert C. Berring 1981-82; Wes Cochran 1982-85; Penny A. Hazelton 1985-present
- International placements include: Guam, University of the Philippines, University of Indonesia, University of Singapore, and Seoul National University.
- The smallest alumni classes contained just one person (1941, 1948, 1951, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1971, 1982)