Use the Quick Links to go directly to free websites.
Review a Legal Research Guide to learn about specific legal sources and how to conduct research. Consult a research book for additional information.
Find Washington State specific resources on HeinOnline.
Legal Research Guides
These legal research either focus on Washington State legal sources or include Washington State materials as well as others.
- Administrative Law Research
- Constitution: Amendments
- Constitution: History (a digital archive)
- Court Rules on e-Filing
- Environmental Policy Act
- Ethics opinions
- Family Law Resources for Washington State
- Free Legal Information on Washington State Law
- Historical Statutory Codes
- Indian Law Research
- Law-Related Blogs
- Legal History Collections
- Legislative History
- Legislative Process
- Limited License Legal Technician Research Guide
- News Sources Online
- Practice Materials
HeinOnline is a commercial service to which the Law Library subscribes. It provides PDF versions of several Washington State specific primary and secondary sources. Visitors to the Law Library may access these and other HeinOnline databases; only University of Washington faculty, students, and staff may access HeinOnline resources remotely.
Revised Code of Washington and earlier statutory titles, including Ballinger's, Pierce's, and Remington's Codes
Laws of Washington, 1854-date (session laws: laws enacted in chronological order)
Attorney General opinions and reports, 1888-date
Gonzaga Journal of International Law, 1997-date
Gonzaga Law Review, 1966-date
NW Lawyer, 1947-date (formerly, Washington State Bar News)
Seattle Journal for Social Justice, 2002-date
Seattle Journal of Environmental Law, 2009-date
Seattle University Law Review, 1977-date (formerly, University of Puget Sound Law Review)
Washington Journal of Law, Technology & Arts, 2004-date (formerly, Shidler Journal of Law, Commerce & Technology
Washington Law Review, 1925-date
For additional Washington State legal research information, see one of the following:
- Washington Legal Researcher's Deskbook 3d (2002). KFW75.W37 2002 at Reference Area & Reference Office Table of contents
- Washington Legal Research, 2d ed. (2009). KFW75.H45 2009 at Reference Area & Reference Office
- Washington State Documents: A Bibliography of Legal and Law-Related Sources (2011). KF1.Z95 A42 at Reference Office
- Chapter 49, Washington Territorial Legal Materials, in 2 Prestatehood Legal Materials: A Fifty-State Research Guide (2005). KF240.P688 at Reference Office
Links to more sources are found in the Site Index under the heading "Washington legal research."